Danbury 300-D diecast model

Hi David and 300 folks,

I will assume that a discussion around models of 300 cars is appropriate to this list, as most of us who have the real cars also have at least a few models of them. John, correct me if this is off line.

It sounds like David started well ahead of me in collecting Danbury Mint car models. I got started about 6 years ago, and have not suffered the failures mentioned with the tires. However, I did have the front suspension on the '41 Cadillac disassemble itself, and both the '32 Cadillac and the Hispano-Suiza have front wheels that sit at a rather drunken lean when the car is viewed from the front. The '32 Cadillac, I must mention, is certainly a 'Monday car' with a crooked radiator, crooked wheels, and a misaligned rear windshield. I should have returned it, but my wife gave it to me and so I have just kept it (at the back of my display case ...) for that reason. So point one is that these models are complex and expensive, but are not always perfect! Much like their 1:1 cousins, actually.

I have noticed that some strange alchemy occurs between the finish on wooden shelves and rubber model car tires, not just for Danbury, but for all makes and all scales. The tires actually glue themselves to the shelves, and have to be persuaded to release their grip. I therefore go with glass shelves wherever possible, and that seems to make the model car tires happier. I don't know if that has anything to do with David's situation.

I find the level of detail on the Danbury MoPar models to be astonishing. As a person who built models in the '60's, it amazes me to see just how accurate and detailed they can make the models now. I assure you, I could not match the quality and detail of these cars for any amount of money! And I was pretty good, too!

I have found Danbury Mint to be a good and agreeable company so far, but I have not really tested them - maybe I should belatedly ask if the sad sack '32 Cadillac can be exchanged and see what they do. I know that neither Danbury Mint nor Franklin Mint keep spare parts, as revenue from these could not possibly offset management costs. However, PhillyMint (you can find them on the web) does have a 'parts car' department, and maybe they would help scare up some new tires!

I believe the Danbury 300C is one of the all-time best modeling efforts by anyone, with the '58 Fury and the '56 Adventurer right behind. I would recommend these models, and also the '69 Charger, and '42 / '48 Town and Countries, to any MoPar enthusiast. I have not seen the 300D yet, but assume it is the equal of the superb 300C.

I shall hope some acceptable resolution of David's tire problem is forthcoming so he can again enjoy his model car collection. I know I get a huge amount of enjoyment from mine.

300ly,

Doug Jones
Boulder Creek, CA
'63 300 Pace Car, '73 Jensen Interceptor III