Re: [Chrysler300] Torqueflite question

Almost sounds like the idle speed is a tad too high and the tranny is simply "torquing up".

Karl

From: Jonathan Sacks <jwsacks@xxxx>
To: Chrysler 300 Email Network <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chrysler300] Torqueflite question
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:33:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Quick question about the torqueflite on my '66 300. If
their is harsh engagement (it jumps), particularly
when she's shifted into reverse, could that be a
transmission mount? The manual makes no mention of
that and instead suggest seven other possible causes,
including:

a) high idle
b) high or low hydraulic pressure
c) low-reverse band out of adjustment
d) valve body malfunction or leakage
e) accumulator sticking
f) low reverse servo, band or linkage malfunction
or
g) worn or faulty front and/or rear clutch.

Any ideas about a good way to start to locate the
source of the jump?

Also, in a related question, I've never changed out
the trans fluid and filter, but I'm considering having
it done this week. She's only got 74,000 original but
of course she's 40 years old. Manual says to leave it
unless hard driving, and it still looks good on the
dipstick, but I don't know- after 40 years, seems like
it can't hurt, right?

Thanks a million,