Windshield Wiper diagnosis

Hi Jennie and Matt,

I must differ with the two previous suggestions sent back to you that I read
on the listserver.

The wiper motor is a reversing motor; it is identical to the power window
motors 1960 thru 1964, in that it is GROUNDED to the car body via its two
attaching studs thru the mounting bracket. There are no rubber grommets to
isolate it. Indeed, the wiper motor will not function at all if not grounded
to the (-) body of the car.

If your motor works at all, then it is grounded, and you should look
elsewhere to diagnose the lack of park and stop function. Follow the
following procedure:

1/ Disconnect the two double leads ( there's a BLUE + BROWN and a YELLOW +
RED) . Get a test light and check for following:

With wiper switch in the "OFF " position, AND LEADS DISCONNECTED FROM MOTOR,
you should have:
BLUE = energized (+) ; all three others (Brown, Yellow and Red ) not
energized.

With wiper switch to "ON" ( low speed) ( and leads still detached) you
should have:
BROWN and RED energized ; Blue and Yellow not energized.

Therefore, if you don't get voltage at the blue terminal when you turn the
wiper switch to the off position, the wipers will keep running, and won't
reverse. If that is the case, you either have a broken switch or a bad BLUE
lead from the switch. to the motor. Or maybe the leads are switched around
on the wiper switch. See wiring diagram in service manual.

NEXT DIAGNOSIS : connect both terminals between wiring harness and wiper
motor.
Using the test light, check for following:

BLUE WIRE: will be energized when wiper switch is in the "OFF" position.
Will de-energize for about 2 seconds when turning wipers on, and will then
re-energize as wipers are running. Will STAY energized when wipers are
turned OFF

BROWN WIRE: no power when switch is "OFF" . Will be energized when switch
is turned on, and while motor is reversing.

RED: Energized when wipers are turned on. Voltage varies with speed
selected. OFF when reversing or turned off.

YELLOW : Energizes when reversing ONLY. No power when running or when
parked.

other problem solving: when turning switch to the "off" position, the motor
reverses but does NOT shut off. That is due to a gummed-up plastic cam
under the gear cover... remove the 4 or 5 screws that hold cover in place.
You'll see a larger white plastic cam that is activated by the motor, and
goes round and round...and a smaller plastic cam that contacts the larger
one, which is connected to the on/off switch thru the metal plate. spray
some WD-40 or similar and flick this smaller cam back and forth until it
frees itself. It is spring-loaded and should return freely to its rest
position. It is easy to free it up. Once freed up, reassemble cover and
now, when the wiper motor reverses, it will engage that cam and turn the
motor off after one revolution.

It is not especially hard to work on this with the glovebox removed.

Good luck,
John