Chrysler 300M Goodyear Tires

I responded privately to Mike Laiserin's problems with Goodyear tires on his
300M, then I realized that this may be a problem of interest to the entire
list, since I have also experienced problems with Goodyear tires on another
type of vehicle:

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't be surprised if Goodyear shares some of the blame for the
original vibrations that you experienced. My wife bought a new 1999 Chevy
Blazer with Goodyear tires; Wrangler 235 x 15. In fact, I made the dealer
switch the Uniroyals that were originally on the Blazer to the Goodyears.
One of the rears blew out the sidewall at around 20,000. The Goodyear
dealer near me replaced it free without any difficult discussions, or worse.
At around the same time, the fronts began thumping. Now at around 30,000,
they are unevenly worn to the point of serious vibations. I plan to replace
them shortly, but it won't be with Goodyears! I have been a Goodyear fan
for many years, but they just aren't what they used to be. In the future, I
plan to stay away from Goodyears, just as I have long stayed away from
Uniroyals, Firestones and BFGoodrichs. When I was a teenager, I worked at a
Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. Among other things, I changed many tires. At
that time, Goodyear was much superior to the other brands listed above. Not
any more! Best regards, Jim