300M Special & Horsepower

Jeff,

What pulls the vehicle around is TORQUE - NOT
horsepower! The subject addressed was HORSEPOWER! A
net (post mid 70's)rating of 253 HORSEPOWER equals
over 300 (gross) by 1955 criteria. Sorry - FACT! The
lowly 318 lost 80HP when the rating standards changed.
Advertised 230hp became 150hp. My '77 New Yorker with
a 440 is rated at 220 HP. Do you really think it put
out 10hp less than say a '70 318 2 barrel or lost
130hp by a 1 1/2 point drop in static compression? Do
you think it puts out the same TORQUE as my LH/New
Yorker 3.5 220 hp? No Way!!!!
At the Irwin, PA meet last year we spent some time at
the drags. That 3.5 turned high 16's with over 135k on
it. Almost 1000 lbs. lighter, but 155 less
Horsepower(by the ratings), it ran about 1/2 second
slower than some G's and was faster than a D and an L
that I remember. The weight advantage does not make
up for the horsepower difference, IF the ratings were
calculated by the same standards. A 300M is about
three seconds faster in the quarter than a C300. With
47 LESS horsepower, hows it do that?

All this is to say that the horsepower rating method
changed in the early 70's. Sorry if you didn't know
that.

300ly

Russ Vaughan