Brake Adj

Just a few comments on brake adjustments and related. Most of the dual front wheel cylinder Chryslers adjust in a similar manner. The fronts need to have the cam rotated in the direction that the wheel is rotating while going forward, just until they rub then back off slightly. In the rear, the front shoe adjusts the same way as the front wheel, in the rear shoe in the rear brake, the cam is turned in the direction the wheel is going while the car is backing up. This is from the '60 and '61 manual, and I think is correct for the '62 also. I have done mine for years this way, and I have never seen the need to have anyone in the driver's seat to assist with the process.

Also, I have to take exception with the use of soap and water for cleaning brake parts as being superior to using spray solvents designed specifically for the purpose of cleaning brake parts. I just don't believe soap and water to be a more effective cleaner than the purpose made solvents. If you are concerned about brake dust (and you should be) wear a dust mask and don't blow them off with compressed air.

Bob J