Re: [Chrysler300] 57 300 hemi

Jonnie,

Two quick and easily overlooked things come to mind here.  I'm
operating under the assumptions that:

You DO have fuel

and

you DO have good strong blue spark.

If the above two assumptions are true, then my first thought is that
you have a timing issue of some sort.

Thing one:  Check the firing order.  Easy to check, often overlooked.
Speaking from experience here.

Thing two:  Make sure your distributor isn't off by 180 degrees.

Now, I'll fess up that that I've never been inside of an early Hemi,
but I have been on the inside of many B and RB engines.  My '57 manual
isn't handy here, so I don't know what the rotation of an early Hemi
distributor is. I'm also not sure if the early Hemi distributor mates to
the camshaft via a spline or a gear. (Could someone else chime in here
with those answers....)

So, if you're not sure if your firing order is right, turn the engine
over untill the number one cylinder is at TDC **with both intake and
exhaust valves closed**.  At that point the rotor will be pointing to to
the contact on the distributor cap that should go to  cylinder number
one.  Then, just work your way down the firing order around the cap
(again, I'm not sure if clockwise or conterclockwise, but I know someone
here will chime in!) to check your firing order.

Best of luck.  I hope you get it running.  There's nothing like the
sound of an early Hemi!

BTW,  Happy New Year everybody!

Best Regards,

Thomas F. Miller
'57 300C, '03 300M Special
tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Jonnie" <Jslayton@xxxxxxxxxx> 1/9/2005 7:13 PM >>>

I have a 57 300 that I am working on and I can't get the motor to run.
It most likely hasn't been started since the 70's. The engine is in
time,has good spark, is getting fuel--firing order is correct----points
are set right,new plugs are gaped right----after I was unsuccessful in
starting engine, I had two good Mopar engine guys to check everything
and they also say motor should run-----Compression ='s
90---140---120---110---80---60---60---150----I oiled cylinders,turned
motor over----cleaned plugs-----motor turns fast enough to start-----I
put a jumper on it and ran it fast several times but it acts like it
wants to start----sometimes---but never will. Any suggestions before I
tear it down--Johnnie Slayton

For list server instructions, go to
Yahoo! Groups Links