[Chrysler300] Pie Are Square

It is difficult to agree on displacements and conversions due to
inconsistent round off of Pi, fractions of piston diameters and strokes
and the metric to English units conversion factor used.  For instance,
my C-300 has 3 13/16" bore and 3 5/8" stroke.  Using the full decimal
equivalents of  3.8125" and 3.625" and Pi to 9 decimals as displayed by
my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, the displacement is computed as 331.0607
cubic inches.  The precise expression of the multiplier for conversion
from cubic inches to liters is 1000/(2.54^3)  =1000/(2.54
cubed)=61.02374409 cubic inches per liter.  Applying this to my C-300
makes it a 5.42412 liter displacement.

When I am caught without my calculator and want to make a quick mental
conversion between metric and English units, I use the crutch of "about"
60 cubic inches/liter.  If I need better precision, I may recall that a
427 is very close to 7 liters and that gives me 61 cubic inches/liter.

I have come to appreciate the mystique of displacements in cubic inches
that can never come from metric units.  "Giddyup, giddyup 6.7", would
never sell one record. And who would ever buy a "7.21 six pack"?  How
intimidating is a 6.98 HEMI?  When I see familiar numbers as part of an
address, phone number, theater ticket or wherever, a little bell goes
off.  411 is an overdrive axle ratio, 303 was my '49 Olds engine
displacement, 331, 361, 383 my Chryslers, Dodge and Plymouth.  It just
doesn't seem "right" for the Chevy stroker kits to create a displacement
of 383 cubic inches.  I feel that number "belongs" to Chrysler
products!   Further, power in the metric system is generally expressed
in kilowatts.  That makes a Chrysler 300 a Chrysler 224.  Boring!  Never
sell a car that way.

I further believe and recommend that the displacement of real HEMI's is
and should always be measured in cubic inches.  My feelings along those
lines extends to fasteners, too.  It is a real pleasure to work on a car
with a set of fractional inch sockets, flat and Phillips head
screwdrivers and a set of fractional inch Allen head wrenches.  Metric,
Torx and other oddball stuff stays in the bottom of the toolbox.

Out of curiosity, I ran out the conversions Ray had offered and
developed the numbers below in parentheses that agree perfectly with
Ray's.  Agreement is possible, if both parties use the same conversion
factors.

Adding a few:
331 Cubic inches equals 5.42412 Liters
354 Cubic inches equals 5.80102 Liters
361 Cubic inches equals 5.91573 Liters
383 Cubic inches equals 6.27625 Liters
392 Cubic inches equals 6.42373 Liters
426 Cubic inches equals 6.98089 Liters

Keep in mind, going to bore and stroke to compute the cubic inches will
yield different values.

Ray Jones wrote:

>I keep this in my Note Book files:
>5.7 Liters equals 347.835 Cubic inches  (347.8353)
>318 Cubic inches equals 5.21109 Liters  (5.211086)
>360 Cubic inches equals 5.89934 Liters  (5.899343)
>413 Cubic inches equals 6.76786 Liters  (6.767857)
>440 Cubic inches equals 7.21031 Liters  (7.210308)
>
>Worked with the Metric system all my pro life, but could never keep the
>above in my head.
>Ray
>Ray Jones, Jones Ridge, in the Ouachita Mtns near Mena, Western Arkansas
>All Y'all come visit, Y'hear?

Nuff of this.

Rich Barber

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used