[Chrysler300] Winter Storage Suggestions

[Chrysler300] Winter Storage Suggestions

Mark:

Magnums are cool cars and worth preserving.

My input, based on years storing cars and boats in Iowa and Nebraska:
Use gasoline stabilizer and fill the gas tank.  Make sure the antifreeze
is adequate for coldest temperature.  Put 100% winter mix in windshield
washer and operate the squirts to make sure everything in the system is
100% winter mix.  Winter air is generally dry, but condensation can
occur during swing periods.  I'd close the windows to prevent rodents
from nesting.  A car cover that breathes would be appropriate to protect
against dust and bird doo-doo.  Remove the battery and put it somewhere
you can trickle charge it from time to time.  No use having to buy a new
one in the spring.  Batteries are usually damaged if they are allowed to
die during periods of non-use.  Hang an air freshener or two in the
car.  Take most of the weight off the tires by placing the axles and
suspension on jack stands, but don't let them hang free.  Put tires on
concrete pads if the floor is not concrete.  Remove plugs and spray
preservative in the spark plug holes,.  turn the engine over to
distribute the preservative and reinstall the plugs.  Preservative and
stabilizer and other tips available from boat dealers.  Plenty of mouse
traps and mouse poison on the floor of the garage.  Remove anything that
might leak, stain or stink from console, glove compartment and trunk.
Check for rodents and any other problems every week or two. Mice can do
a job on a car in a very short time and they like to get in out of the
cold, too.   Remove floor mats to allow carpet to breathe.  I often
found condensed moisture under rubber trunk mats, so might remove those,
also.  I'd wax the chrome, if not the whole car.  Make sure the air
conditioner drain tube is not plugged with mud and has properly drained
the condensed moisture.

It will be interesting to read the suggestions of others.

Best wishes for a mild and safe winter and MoPa'r to ya from

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C-300

bigblockhoss@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I just purchased a '78 Dodge Magnum XE (I know, I know, it's not a 300). This
>is a very, very clean 35,000 mile car. I have never owned an older car this
>nice. Can you give me some ideas for winter storage, in an unheated garage, in
>Michigan? Should I use a car cover? Any answers and suggestions would be most
>appreciated. Thanks.
>Mark Hoscila
>BigBlockHoss@xxxxxxx

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx