Re: [Chrysler300] 300C/D mufflers

About four years ago, after some mild modifications to the 383 cid engine in
my '66 300, I had a 2.5" dual exhaust system installed with 3-chamber Delta
Series Flowmasters. The 2.5" pipes ran all the way from the manifolds to the
exhaust tips with no stepdown. It sounded great from the outside! The inside
was another story. The droning was terrible. The muffler shop said I needed
resonators--so I had them installed. Slight improvement, but still too much
drone. I called Flowmaster for advice. They said a crossover (H-Pipe) should
help. I had that installed. Slight improvement, but still too much drone. I
changed out all the hangers to make sure that the system was totally
isolated--no improvement.

After a couple of months of frustration, I removed the Flowmasters and
installed OEM-style Walker mufflers. The droning was gone. The car now
sounds great. It has the deep big block burble that I was hoping for in the
first place.

Jack
> From: "Owen & Jo Grigg" <ram300@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:38:47 +1200
> To: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Chrysler300] 300C/D mufflers
>
> Hi all
> My 300C "driver" is due for a new exhaust system, I was considering going to a
> 2.25" system from front to back rather than stepping down to 2" tailpipes as
> original. Would be interested in what others have done? Also what mufflers to
> use to get the most out of the 300C without getting a drone thru the car or a
> headache after five minutes drive. I see Flowmaster are doing a 3 chamber
> muffler, has anyone used these? I guess what I'm trying to do is get the hemi
> to breathe a bit better/less restrictive but keep as close to original in
> style/look.
> I note that Flowmaster recommend the following, which suggests that the
> standard system is restrictive?
>

> a.. What pipe size should I use for a street application?
> In general, the following guidelines should be followed for street
> applications.
>     2" tubing up to 100 hp per pipe
>     2.25" tubing up to 160 hp per pipe
>     2.5" tubing up to 200 hp per pipe