[Chrysler300] Fuel Fax

Apparently, the server rejected this the first time.  This version
includes the corrections.

Fuel economy is pretty much based on the BTU content of the fuel for a
given engine, even a carbureted hemi in a Chrysler 300.

Gasoline= 132,400 BTU/gallon  This is an older value and  now ranges all
over the map-CA suggests a value of 111,000 BTU/gallon at
http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/transportation/alcohols.html
Reformulation and additives have lowered the BTU content of "gasoline"
15% in the last 40 years.
Ethanol= 85,879 BTU/gallon
Methanol=60,088 BTU/gallon
MTBE= 93,500 BTU/gallon (MTBE is made from iso-butane and methanol, has
a higher carbon content, thus higher BTU/gallon)
10% ethanol in gasoline=127,739 BTU/gallon=96.5% of gasoline
10% methanol in gasoline=125,168 BTU/gallon=94.5% of gasoline
10% MTBE in gasoline=128,510 BTU/gallon=97.1% of gasoline

The EPA suggests one might experience a 1%-3% loss in fuel economy on
fuels with oxygenates.

While there is a rich interplay of variables making this analysis more
complex, the addition of any low carbon/high hydrogen fuel such as
alcohol or MTBE to a given gasoline blend will lower fuel economy and
range.   See the EPA site at  http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfgecon.htm
Adding insult to injury, you can be sure you are buying some water when
you buy fuel with alcohol in it as the distillation process is imperfect.

In my judgment the real issue is out-of-pocket cents/mile.  Others would
want to add in the hidden cost of subsidized oxygenates, environmental
impact & etc.

There is probably no other common product so poorly labeled, with the
possible exception of bottled water.

Gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and on down to residual fuel and Bunker
C are pretty much liquid coal and continue to provide cheap energy for
transportation, heating and commerce.

Society and government decide on taxation and formulations of fuel to
improve the quality of the air we breathe and the water we drink.

Oxygenates are most helpful in reducing pollution from older engines.
Newer engines closely control fuel-air ratios and produce about the same
emissions on any current gasoline.

Well, I see the hour is over.  Class dismissed.

MoPa'r to ya!

Rich Barber

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used