      1. Re: Solutions to the engine rebuild dilemma
           From: Marshall Larson <yelof@xxxxxxxx>
      2. Re:  C300
           From: REckert300@xxxxxxx
      3. '61-'62 Dash pad -'60 remote hood latch - sale
           From: "Vath, Michael J." <mjvath@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. For Sale  300M
           From: Redwoodlse@xxxxxxx
      5. 64 300 Eng. Cu.In.
           From: "rfx" <rfx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Chrome piece for a 64
           From: Deaugs1@xxxxxxx
      7. 58 300 D generator question
           From: mjraguse@xxxxxxx
      8. Wanted
           From: "Dou" <dou4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:31:21 -0600
   From: Marshall Larson <yelof@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Solutions to the engine rebuild dilemma

Hi Jonathan.
	By not paying attention to the installed height of the valves, the
valve
train geometry has been changed.  The rocker tip no longer pivots over
the centerline of the valve stem.  This will accelerate wear of the valve
guide.
	Grinding the valve or the seat too much will change the volume of
the
combustion chamber because the valve now sits deeper in the head.
Compression ratio is lowered.  Because of the shortened pushrods, the
valves aren't opening as far which affects cylinder filling.  As RPM goes
up there is less time to fill the cylinder, plus less compression; the
engine runs increasingly rough and with less power/torque.  The valves
should have all been matched to the worst one or the bad ones replaced.
The volume and compression in all chambers/cylinders need to be the same.

	Normally, a new cam is installed with new lifters unless the cam's
profile is verified to be within specs.  Hope this helps for the next
time.

DB Larson
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.