{Chrysler 300} Re: Schematic

hi , All your thinking is correct ,  —- especially that there are at least three designs of these , varying suppliers?  .
That one with resistance wire in a sleeve always goes open as you describe ,

While i forget the exact ohms and small variations do not  matter, take out the pieces from black sleeve lay them end to end connect the ends with  clip or clip leads and  measure , you are right under 100 probably under 10 ohms
Get on line in 5-10 watt size , nearest ohms
they look like white ceramic blocks . Amazon or ebay
 replace capacitor , Panasonic film type Mouser , buy ten , 630 v or so

The transistor  is Germanium PNP ; ones from our radios , if junked radio , work   .
Transistor rarely goes bad , I saw  one bad in maybe 20 packs .
Modern silicon do not work , i tried that  , possibly by rebiasing but too much gain .
That is Less of an issue now , someone is re - making old design germanium pnp for old car radio repair , I think Central semiconductor.
I bought ten on ebay .
good subject !—-  a good pack  will read 200 vac or more on analog ac volt meter on white  wire to metal case , 12 v + on orange wire to case
jg

> On Sep 15, 2024, at 1:42 PM, dave mason <forwardlook300@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi John and Carl!  Do you guys know if there exists a schematic(s) of the EL power pack?  Some are different design.  I am trying to restore one that had a resistance wire (now broken and corroded), which I had never seen until this one.  Not sure the original logic of using a resistance wire vice a plain resistor.  The wire ran from one lug of the transformer over to the power transistor and was covered with black plastic and tied in a knot, as shown in the photo.  From underneath the circuit card you can see the trace of where it connects.
> The simple answer is to put a resistor in its place, underneath the board.  However I don’t know what the value should be.  The original wire was corroded to the point that when I ohm it I get mega ohms.  So useless to check.  Would think its value should be ohms not kilo ohms or mega ohms.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!

---

JPEG image

---

JPEG image

---

JPEG image

---

JPEG image

> Thanks!  Carl I copied Kya because I think sometimes I don’t get email from your address- at least it’s happened before- not even in junk folder just non existent.   Hope your travel home from the meet is safe,
>
> D&K
>

> Sent from my iPhone

---