Re: [Chrysler300] TIRE PRESSURE

I should have checked before I wrote this!

The tire pressure check is required by the (California) Air Resources Board in order to reduce excessive emissions caused by running underinflated tires. Shops have to have a reference list of "recommended" tire pressures available.
Mike Moore

On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Michael Moore wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Keith Boonstra wrote:
>
>> Too often we find that "recommended" pressures are not necessarily
>> optimal, but they yield a value that has greater importance to the
>> specifier of the recommendation than it does to you as the final user.
>> E.g.- American Classic wants your whitewalls to last, or Chrysler wants
>> you to feel like you're getting a softer ride.
>>
> Keith, I guess I have to wonder about where the interests of the tire industry lobbyists,
> insurance companies, car manufacturers etc.  are  in this.
> Who sponsored the law in California to insist that ALL cars have their tire pressure checked whenever a car comes in?
> I'm not a conspiracy theorists in general, but laws like this seem to be in someone's interest.
>
>> For more decades than I'm ready to admit I've had a practice in setting
>> my tire pressures that has worked extremely well. I take very precise
>> measurements of the tread depth on a brand new set of tires when I first
>> get a different car, then I inflate them to a pressure I suspect will
>> provide an even wear across the footprint of the tire. After I put on
>> five or ten thousand miles, I go back and take exacting new readings of
>> the tread depth to see how much they are wearing - the fronts may very
>> well be different from the rears. If the outer edges are down, I'll add
>> a pound or three. And likewise, if the centers are wearing a little
>> more I'll lower the pressure some. Once I get the pressures set for a
>> completely even wear, I'm good for as long as I own that car using
>> similar tires.
>>
> My case is probably pretty different. I replace my tires based on age, not wear.
> That's true of many of my friends with collector cars. My E Type has very expensive Dunlop tires which I'll have to replace.
> The tires have less than 20,000 miles on them-but are 8 years old. So whether or not my American Classic tires make it to 45,000 miles is a moot to me.
>

>> In most of my radial tired cars with all-season tires I do find that the
>> 35-36 pound range gives me that even wear.
>>
> I can not disagree.
>> But, that being said, I live
>> in Michigan and going to the Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires for ice
>> and snow traction presented an interesting case in point. I found out
>> that these tires are constructed very differently. When I first started
>> running them I pumped them up to my regular 35-36 pound range and took
>> off down the road without another thought. About 15,000 miles later I
>> found I had run the centers right out of them. The centers were wearing
>> at least twice as fast as the outers.
>>
>> I found that I had to drop all the way down to 29-30 psi to get those
>> Blizzaks to wear evenly. I've had nine sets of them over the years, and
>> dropping to that low figure has given me completely even wear on all the
>> cars I've used them on.
>>

>> It's amazing how much difference a little change in inflation makes, but
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)