Re: [Chrysler300] 1958 300D AIR CLEANER

Larry and All:
The flat spots on the air cleaner housings are necessary when mounted on a
"B" engine, as the carbs are much closer together.  You will note the
little hole on the flat side is supposed to retain a rubber bumper to prevent
the housings from touching on "B" engine installations.  As for the 300D, I
consulted three of my old road tests.  The car in the Motor Trend test has
the flat portions facing each other.  The other two, Road and Track and Car
Life, have both flat areas facing toward the rear.  Of course, any of these
 could have been changed by the testers, but kind of unlikely, I think.
Anyway, seems like on the 300D you can put your air cleaners on the way you
like!
As for the decal position, all the early road test engine pictures  agree:
It is on the more gently rounded surface, with its inner (medial)  end
approximately at centerline and extending laterally.  (Hope that makes  sense.)
So, if the air cleaners are installed with the flattened surfaces  facing
each other, the front housing decal is on the driver's side facing  forward
and the rear housing decal would be on the passenger side, facing  rearward.
Note:  On the only factory photo I have of a "D" engine,  the one on page
64 of Ackerson's book with Bob Rodger, the decal appears to be  centered on
the front facing surface.  That is likely an early car,  and is also an FI.

Shall I go on?  Well, ok.  In the picture of the 300E with Bob  Rodger, the
decals seem to have "moved" more toward the lateral, more  sharply curved
surface.  By 1962, the decals are centered on the  housing "ends", so that
the front housing decal is facing straight lateral  towards the driver's side,
and the rear housing decal is facing straight lateral  towards the
passenger side of the engine compartment.

Is that enough?  It is for me!  Hope it helps.
300ly, Gil C.
Tallahassee, FL

In a message dated 1/19/2010 7:57:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,