RE: [Chrysler300] About water

Hokay.  I'll chime in.  RO systems as found at home probably remove about
90% of all minerals and also remove all chlorine if an activated charcoal
outlet filter is present and functional.  This leaves enough minerals to
provide some taste and defense against leaching.  RO water is not distilled
water.  Distilled water would tend to aggressively leach out about any
metal.  Boiler makeup is typically deionized water (which is like distilled
water-just made by a chemical process instead of a distillation/condensation
heat process), then treated with specific chemicals to prevent
corrosion-another word for leaching.

Our house has a typical home water softener that does not reduce mineral
content, but exchanges sodium for calcium.  Sodium deposits are more soluble
than calcium deposits.  I use the softened water to wash our Chrysler 300
and it still leaves water spots, but they are easier to chamois off.  We
also have an RO system that processes the softened water before sending it
to a small sink tap and the icemaker.  Our house has an island counter in
the kitchen and has a copper tube running from the RO system to the
refrigerator on a far wall.  The tube is buried in the concrete slab, so I
just connected it up and am using it.  Ten years later, no problem with
icemaker or connections.  We refill those plastic water bottles from the RO
tap at the sink and we ain't dead yet.  But, we are on our third water
heater in ten years.  As the water is heated, some of the high mineral
content precipitates into the bottom of the tank.  I know that I should be
draining the tank and sludge more regularly, but this is some indication of
how even softened water might act in our Chrysler 300 radiators.  We also
use RO water for house plants, coffee, tea, our Chrysler 300 6-Volt battery
and makeup water to mix with antifreeze for our Chrysler 300 radiator.  I
believe our RO system is right for us, our plants, coffee, tea and Chrysler
300 radiator and battery.

A nearby small local community has switched to a centralized water softening
system for their municipal water as it is sourced from wells.  The EPA is on
their case as their sewage effluent is occasionally above very stringent
limits for copper content.  There is strong evidence to indicate that the
ion exchange systems used in our homes does result in some copper being
leached out of house piping.  This may be as much an electrolytic action as
strict chemical action, but it is happening.  This is a major reason for
requiring plastic piping in homes.  But, there is some indication that some
nasty stuff may be leached out of plastic water piping, also.
Ethanol-enhanced beverages in glass containers may well be the best
solution.  Googling copper produced lots of papers, but there appears to be
agreement that copper is needed by animals and plants and that many do not
get enough.  It is apparently possible, but unlikely, for humans to get too
much copper and some health conditions require less copper, just like people
with high blood pressure are encouraged to avoid the high-sodium softened
water.

I haven't looked, but the antifreeze manufacturer may have recommendations
for what kind of water to use with their product.  But, I'm sure the
antifreeze manufacturer would prefer softened water to hard water and low
mineral content water to highly mineralized "caliche" water.  Different
waters would be expected to react differently to the mineral/organic
corrosion inhibitor chemicals in the antifreeze.

Cu-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA