RE: [Chrysler300] 1961 300 G

To All in 300 Land.

A word on plating and processing.

Black Oxide is a surface treatment that doesn't change the texture or
dimensional characteristics of a machined (or ground) surface.  Gage and
inspection tooling is often "black oxide" coated. Black oxide exhibits poor
corrosion resistance.  Newly B.O.ed parts are generally oiled after process.

Phosphate Coating (almost positive aka "Parkerizing") is a "non-metallic
coating" and produces detectable dimensional change.  The coating produces a
dull-matt -almost rough surface finish and may be applied after other
metallic plating has been applied. As I remember (it's been awhile)
phosphate coating is used in applications where friction and/or heat is a
consideration and may be used in conjunction with dry film lube.

Cadmium and Zinc plating both produce a "white" metallic surface finish.
They both produce dimensional change when plated that can range from .0001
per side up to .005 or thicker per side.  (The customer can specify the
thickness.)  For some reason, gov. spec.s require certain fastener parts to
remain "white" while the bulk of parts cad plated will end up yellow.  This
is because they are dipped in a chem. film irridite after plating.  The
iridite doesn't produce any dimensional change to the previously cad plated
surface.

The really good news is that most plating shops with aircraft/aerospace
experience can either perform the above plating services or send you to
someone that can.

Danny Watts

300F

300G

P.S..A Big Word of Caution:  If you find yourself electro-plating parts
(cad, zinc, chrome, nickel, etc) that have high hardness (over 40C on a
Rockwell scale) it is important to hydrogen embrittlement relieve the parts
after plating.  This entails baking the plated parts at 375 degrees F for a
minimum of 3 hours.  This allows the hydrogen, produced by plating, to
escape "through" the plating, and eliminate future cracking/disentregation
problems in the parent metal. Any steel heat treater and many platers can
perform the Rockwell test.

  _____