RE: [Chrysler300] The Exner Era @ the University of Notre Dame

To All,

The Virgil M. Exner Tribute event was all of what's been said and more.
Staged in two places on campus, the daylight hours were spent with the cars
and guests both in and around the Stepan Center geodesic dome auditorium
building, with the more formal lecture and discussion following that evening
at the nearby Snite Museum of Art facility.  A unique opportunity to speak
with and listen to history-makers was presented to everyone in attendance.
What a treat.  There was ample time to get very close to some very special
cars, and to experience the unique opportunity to interface one on one with
a few of the actual Chrysler designers of our favorite era: these are the
guys that penned the cars we collect today!  I met with John S

At the Stepan Center, an open microphone encouraged the VIPs in attendance
to share in spontaneous conversation with visitors; all in an atmosphere
charged with enthusiasm and staged to reveal something new at any time.
Comparison and contrast with the current 300, and oratory on its acceptance,
was a recurring theme, but there was plenty said of the earlier work too.
On the floor, in cocktail party manner (sans alcohol), providence led each
of us to engage in personal conversations with influential designers and
industry insiders very willing to take the time to talk.  Only through this
type of venue would this happen.  This was not only a rare opportunity but
in all probability the opportunity to experience these people together and
discussing their days at Chrysler.  Many thanks to all who worked so hard to
make it happen.  With so much going on, each of us at any one time found
ourselves coming in on-or maybe even initiating-some very rewarding
conversations.  It was this opportunity to meet with them: the designers,
Chrysler historians and current management, that really made the show.  You
just couldn't keep up with it.

The evening reunion at Snite was a bit more formal, with the audience still
invited to participate.  So much was presented and, with the exception of
often humorous but not-quite-for-the-record anecdotal comments, most of it
is in this new book "Virgil Exner Visioneer".   But a few of those between
the line remarks were golden.  One that has to be passed on is an apparent
feeling that V.E. Jr. held regarding the has-been application of the trunk
spare tire motif well beyond its day.  Dad is always right: isn't he?

Buy this book.  Read about John Samsen, Del Coates and others we had
opportunity to visit with.  The author Peter Grist has put together so much
of what you have always thought about, and what you didn't think to ask
about the business of design and manufacturing; and how your favorite
Chrysler car came to be the way it is.  Very well done, and a must-have
publication for any enthusiast or historian.  And it carries appropriately
beyond automobile interests.  This fellow Exner had it going on in ways you
may not have been aware of.  Successful and human, and in many ways burdened
with the same tribulations we all deal with in life.  He managed it well,
never gave up, and left us with some great Chrysler cars and more.

Ed Jasinski

San Mateo, California