[Chrysler300] Danbury Mint and Gas Tank Info Request

[Chrysler300] Danbury Mint and Gas Tank Info Request

Rob:

Great idea and thank you for trying to implement it.  I'd suggest the Club
Judges contact the owners of the top 3 to 5 point-winning C-300's of any
color to ask them to submit their cars for detail and dimensional reference.
Heck, anyone can mix up a bucket of Platinum (except the guys that restored
my car years ago).

All:
Today, I was able to purchase and pick up a nicely cleaned and restored 1955
Chrysler gas tank, complete with straps and barrel nuts from Mr. Lowell Howe
at his 20-acre lot in Patterson, CA.  The lot is full of '50's & '60's
Mopars, mostly Imperials and Chryslers.  Lowell is a one-man operation and
knows these cars.  He advertises in Hemmings Motor News. No e-mail or
website.  POB 1432, Patterson, CA 95363.  209-892-3464, cell:  209-581-6221.

However, when I got the tank to my car, it seemed to have the same problem
as my old tank--it may be about 2" longer than the welded-in saddles on the
bottom of the trunk floor.  We shall see Monday.  Is it possible there were
two different length gas tanks for 1955 Chryslers?  My 300 is an early
one-March, 1955.  The tank I bought today even has a couple of small creases
where the edges of the front saddles contacted the top of the tank when it
was in its previous car.

I instructed my mechanic to paint the bottom half of the gas tank aluminum
and undercoat the top half.  The straps will be bead blasted and painted
black.  Lowell says that is where they generally rust out.  If our judges or
other connoisseurs have a better recommendation on choice of color and
finish for the tank and straps, please let me know ASAP.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA