Re: [Chrysler300] Battery causing acid spray

Re: [Chrysler300] Battery causing acid spray

Charlie and all,

The same thing happened to me with a Battery Tender brand maintainer
which is a little more sofisticated than a trickle charger. The battery
was a Sears Die-Hard maintenance free battery and after several days I
went into the garage and found plastic pieces all over. It must have
been a real bang and glad I wasn't near it.  I checked my invoice for
the battery and it was 10 years old (surprise) and was working fine for
about 9 1/2 years !!  Time flies.   Since then, I don't really like the
maintenance free sealed batteries as this may have been prevented if
one could check the fluid levels in the cells.

I have had only one problem with Antique Automobile Battery Company
batteries and that was a new one that just would not take a charge when
new.  They exchanged it , no questions.  All of the other 5 batteries I
have of theirs are fine, some lasting 6 years and still starting.  I
think we should not trash Antique Automobile Battery with blanket
statements that they have "tons of problems" when they may be no better
or worse than others. Some of the problems are created by our car
electronics and no fault of the battery, per se.  I've no vested
interest in AAB;  just trying to put everything in perspective.

One thing I learned at a "battery seminar" and will pass it on is that
when connecting anything to the terminals, blow some air across the
battery top before connecting as explosive gases will lie there and if,
   when connecting,   there is a spark,   kaboom potential.  (Can't
hurt!)

Yes, I have gained new respect for those little black boxes.  (Well,
most of them are black!)
John Cote
CT.