[Chrysler300] Gimme a brake/C-300 4 Sale.

[Chrysler300] Gimme a brake/C-300 4 Sale.

I had a similar event on my 1955 C-300 that had been used very little
since restoration 15 years ago--but the shoes came unglued only on one
rear wheel during a normal low-speed stop.  The car had been stored in
an attached garage in Omaha since restoration and the rear linings were
pretty thin.  I don't know what the bonding process is, but heat, age
and corrosion can certainly be expected to take their toll.  The front
linings were quite thick, but had become saturated with brake fluid from
leaking wheel cylinders.

I replaced all brake shoes and wheel cylinders and now have fairly
decent brakes.  I had to take the old shoes in as cores as the big brake
shop in Stockton only had two old cores.  It was also necessary to take
the drums in so each pair of shoes could be arc-ground to match the drum
they would be operating in.  My mechanic read up on the rather complex
method of adjusting the brakes (without the special tool) and did a
pretty good job, I think.

After a few more miles and stops, I will return the car to the mechanic
for a re-adjustment.

I would ask again if anyone has one of those special brake tools I could
borrow as I have a machinist friend that may be able to copy it.  It
appears to be the equivalent of a mechanical OD/ID micrometer that is
used to set the brake shoe cams so that the OD of the shoes is round and
true and matches the ID of the drum.

The man that purchased the red 1955 C-300 within the last year now is
advertising it in the local papers.  It now has a 392, 12-Volt system,
Torqueflite and rear/factory air with outside scoops.  Non-factory red,
perhaps Viper or Porsche.  May be lowered a little and is equipped with
non-factory wires. Beautiful car, although not exactly factory issue.  I
have urged him to place an ad in our classified section, but in the
interim, here is his contact:  Bob Ferro
925-455-8414--bobferro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  This is the car that came from
Pahrump to Brentwood last year and has since changed owners.  The new
owner resides in Livermore, CA.

C-300'ly
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA