RE: [Chrysler300] Weird Carter carb problem - '65 300

RE: [Chrysler300] Weird Carter carb problem - '65 300

Hi Ryan,
I'd start by bypassing the fuel delivery system entirely. Get a metal gallon
can with a screw on cap and solder some 5/16 or 3/8 copper tubing in near
the bottom to form a spout. Make a dummy gas line 2-3 inches long  and screw
it into the carb. Connect the two spouts with 3-4 feet of appropriate fuel
hose, fill the can with gas an hang it from the open hood latch with some
wire. Now see if it will run. If it runs OK then the problem is in the
delivery system. Look for air leaks in the gas line that runs up through the
car, rust pin holes, split or cracked rubber connectors, etc. An air leak
will cause the pump to lose its prime under load and fuel delivery to the
carb will be inconsistent. Look at the fuel pump once your assured that the
lines are OK.

If it doesn't run the problem is in the carb. Take the top back off the carb
and make sure the floats have some "drop." There is a tang at the
needle/seat end of the float to set the drop. If there is little drop, the
needles are pinned shut and the fuel can't get into the carb. Also, make
sure that the needle/seat assemplies are screwed in tight. If either/both
are loose they will unscrew themselves outward and pin the float to the
bottom of the fuel bowl, again cutting off the gas entry. Good luck.

laurence_g_johnson=hotmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Hopefully someone out there will be able to shed some light on this
>problem.
>I just fired up my freshly rebuilt engine last week for the first time. It
>started right up after priming the carb a few times and ran quite well
>while
>I broke-in the cam and watched for problems. I started the car several
>times
>and put it back in the garage. I'll add that the carb was also rebuilt by
>me.
>
>The following day I went to start her back up and discovered it would only
>fire when primed with a squirt of fuel and then would stall. The throttle
>pump squirters didn't seem to be working. Removed the top of the carb and
>checked for fuel. Fuel was present in the bowls, needle and seats were
>functioning. When I investigated further, noticed the new plunger I had
>installed was faulty and after reinstalling the original, all was well with
>the squirters.
>
>After putting it all back together, the car will still only run on the fuel
>I prime it with OR if I pump the throttle a few times to squirt a little
>fuel in it will run on that, then stall. If I trickle fuel in manually it
>will also continue running but doesn't run on it's own any longer.
>
>Any guesses? The fuel pump is pumping fuel but I'm wondering if it's just
>not pumping enough? It is one of the few parts I didn't replace or rebuild.
>What would cause a carb to not provide enough fuel at idle to keep the car
>running? Remember also, it was working well when I first broke in the cam
>just hours earlier. Is there an easy way to check for adequate fuel
>pressure?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Ryan Hill (Vancouver)

Give the gift of life to a sick child.