[Chrysler300] Re: Collector Car Insurance

[Chrysler300] Re: Collector Car Insurance

It seems to me that the postings are getting away from, and going
beyond, Tim's original concern. The issue isn't uninsured motorists,
operational and non-op vehicles, etc. The issue, as I read Tim's
posting, is the insurer providing proof of ownership information to
the State.

Without going into a long discourse (which I did directly with a
group member), suffice it to say that in my opinion:

1) -- it is the Insurer's responsibility to provide the State, where
required by law, with proof of liability insurance for a particular
vehicle. No more - nothing else!

2) - it is not the insurer's role, responsibility or function to
provide proof of ownership information to the State! Period!

My 2¢ worth...

Mike

--- In Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roger Schaaf" <obiwan10@xxxx>
wrote:
> Seems to me that any small loss of privacy(also chances are that
any
> information that you think is secret is already well known to
anyone who may
> be interested) to further the aim of getting the uninsured
miscreants off
> the road is worth it.  California has somewhat the same laws on
registration
> and insurance but there is a cottage industry of insurance
companies selling
> a policy, the auto owner registers his vehicle and then allows
insurance to
> lapse.  I guess that no one has figured out in this day of
computers and
> networks how to set up a system so that when one loses his
insurance, the
> state's database cannot be set up to invalidate the registration
of a
> vehicle.  Sounds like a good idea to me, but California's
government is not
> known for good ideas.  I would carry it one step further and
impound and
> sell any vehicle which is found to be on our streets without
insurance, but
> again I guess this would logical.  Also the minimum liability
insurance in
> our state(and probably yours) is way too low.  Many states are like
> 15,000--30,000--5,000 which pays not even close to what any
serious accident
> can cost a victim.  By the way the 5,000 is for property damage.
How many
> totaled automobiles can be replaced for 5,000?  I ride
motorcycles.  How far
> will 15,000 go toward putting me back together?  It is for this
reason that
> I carry extremely large coverage's on my motorcycles and cars--1
million
> dollar liability which allows me to have 250,000 uninsured/under
motorists.
> And of course in our great state we have a couple of million
illegal aliens
> on our streets many of whom have no drivers license's, no
insurance, and
> driving vehicles with the handling characteristics of a Wells Fargo
> stagecoach and driving skills to match.  But as is so often the
case in
> California, draconian laws to enforce insurance requirements is
looked as
> just another method to trounce on the rights of the downtrodden.
To hell
> with those who are the victims of these miscreants.
>
> Roger Schaaf
> 300 B, California

Illinois,
> in a timely manner to appraise the state of my insured status.
Should I
> have insured vehicles that are not licensed for use on the road, I
am to
> provide a copy of the Title for the same purpose.
> 3.  Now, Illinois, being fed up with all the uninsured drivers
despite law
> requiring liability insurance, has a new law effective 1 Jan 05
that you
> must present proof of insurance when you register or renew
registration.
> 4.  Is Condon and Skelly being overly cautious?  Is there a danger
in having
> this information "out there" and likely in an automated database?
I do know
> that when I was stationed in Germany in the latter 70's the
Secretary of
> State's office sent someone to verify that my previously licensed
auto,
> which was not renewed and the plates were off, battery pulled,
etc., was
> indeed "non-operational" since I didn't have a record with them of
liability
> insurance.  Dad had to take them to the storage facility and
unlock it to
> show them the car--which was inspected at length.
> 5.  I get goosey when folks start asking for information, which
includes
> personal details, and will likely store such on automated data
bases with so
> so security.  Does anyone know if this is the demands of the
industry now???
> Thanks,
> Tim Tomlinson
> 2 X 300-K's
> 1 68 New Yorker

> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> For list server instructions, go to
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Meet the McDonald¿s® Lincoln Fry  get free digital souvenirs,
Web-only video and bid on the Lincoln Fry prop charity auction.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2YkgMD/fV0JAA/Y3ZIAA/8LmulB/TM