J-K Ram Disc Conversion thoughts...

Quentin and all,

Something you may or may not have realized is that your
Ram K's remote mounted brake booster assembly contains a residual check valve
in the slave cylinder. This is designed to maintain minor pressure against the
wheel cylinders in drum brake cars. I have been told by several brake
rebuilders that if discs are used on a system containing any residual pressure check
valve that pressure will slowly build until the brake system just locks and
stops the car at which point you'd have to crack open a bleeder valve to get
going again.

I have considered disc conversions for both my K's but have not
decided what to do concerning several issues:

1) I don;t know how well or if the remote slave unit would function in
the absence of the residual valve. Running a disc/drum combination would seem
to cause a problem... Converting to 4 wheel discs and eliminating the check
valve would seem to make sense except for the fact that we're stuck with a
single reservoir master cylinder.

2) The single reservoir master cylinder may or may not have adequate
volume to run disc brakes. Additionally, converting to a later model, manual dual
circuit master cylinder would not solve anything since how would one plumb
the dual lines into the remote booster which is only desinged for one circuit
ie: one in and one outlet . . . I suppose you could run a line , without power
assist to the rear drums and run the front disc line through the booster
assembly for assist but it seems a little sketchy.

Remote booster / slave cylinders are still available from Midland and
used in large truck applications. Perhaps they make a dual circuit unit which
could be adapted .

Another thought... I had once heard that todays master cylinders ,
either new or rebuilt, don't contain residual check valves but new, currently
available wheel cylinders do. If this is the case then you may be able to run a
disc/drum combination with no check valves in the system other than in the
rear drum wheel cylinders.

At any rate... lots to consider ... hope I didnt muddy the waters too
much

Mike Laiserin