Re: [Chrysler300] What makes a 300 "real"??

Re: [Chrysler300] What makes a 300 "real"??

For what it's worth, I agree that it is a ridiculous and elitist notion worthy more of a giggle or two rather than a strict adherance to someone else's idea of ideological purity (sic).

I have great respect for the members of this club and listserver who started and maintain both, and I thank them once again for their efforts whether or not they agree with me.

But still, all this reminds me of way back when...

I bought a 1962 Chevy Impala SS coupe. My girlfriend at the time (and her sister) asked me over and over why I had spent so much more on that car than I did on my 4 door hardtop plain Jane Impala. After weeks of trying to get away with saying ÿou don't understand" - I finally had to come to grips with the very real notion that I had spent triple or quadruple the money for what ultimately boiled down to the great honor and respect afforded only to those SS owners who could boast of having the SS grab bar mounted to the passenger side dash. All the other little details (metallic swirl trim, bucket seats) could be ordered with and other Chevy - even the "lowly" Biscayne I think. The powertrain was identical to my other car.

Needless to say - they both got quite a laugh at this, and me. And I learned an embarrasing but important lesson about cars from two girls who didn't know a thing about them.

Even now - you can see these silly guys at meets like Hershey busily having pissing contests about VIN's, body codes, and build sheets. AKA, is this car really an LS6 and worth $60,000 more because it originally had different valve relief on the pistons (which have been replaced since then anyway....) ?

It's OK with me if someone in the 300 Club is proud to have a specific letter car - especially if it is, say, a version that featured the crossrams and other unique powertrain options.

But I'll be just as impressed if someone saves a plain Jane non-letter car from the crusher and restores it. It is no less a piece of automotive history - and no less a car to admire. At least in my book. After years and years of seeing the same top end"" cars at meet after meet by the dozen - I'm getting fonder all the time at running into an old Satellite, DeSoto Hemi, station wagon, Corvair Pickup, etc.

Sean.