Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

Oil pressure is now fine on my 300 Hurst! First of all, I want to thank the
numerous 300 Club members that responded to my problem. The suggestions were
all excellent and helped me a great deal to get this resolved. I have been a
Club member for only a couple of years; had never sent an e-mail to the group.
This 1st time I had a question, the response was immediate and I sure feel
good to belong to such a helpful group of individuals! I did not previously
realize what an asset this group is if you have a problem-it is getting cold in
Ohio and I had to get the car going and back to storage for winter.

I removed the Motorcraft new oil filter I had installed when I changed the
oil. It was basically empty even though I had run the engine briefly several
times following the oil change. I took a new Fram oil filter and filled it with
oil ( Club member suggestion ), then started the engine. Within a very short
period of time, the oil pressure light went out - what a relief ! I then
installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge ( Club member suggestion). I started the
engine and the gauge registers good oil pressure. There was a metal pipe plug
at the top rear of the engine, right near the oil pressure sending unit for the
oil pressure light, so I could use this port for the brass fittings to supply
the pressure gauge ( did not have to install a T to supply both the sending
unit and gauge.)

The new Motorcraft filter I had bought at a garage sale - it was old and may
have been bad? In the future, I will always fill the oil filter with oil
before installation - very simple, makes great sense, but something I never though
of before. I will also drain and refill the oil quickly when changing oil -
not let everything drain down for a long period before refilling. Now that I
have a pressure gauge, I will keep an eye on the pressure, and replace the oil
pump if any problems - in the spring when it is warmer here in Columbus, Ohio!
Snow will be here soon and it is getting too cold to crawl under the
Chrysler! Thanks a million for everyone's help, support and suggestions! Steve in
Columbus, Ohio.