Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Front Brakes (take 4)

Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Front Brakes (take 4)

Hi Mark -

> I tore the right front wheel down again and found a problem with the brake
support plate.

What was the problem that you found ?

>The front brake support plate spring that rests against the adjusting cam
was pulled way out and is obviously shot. The spring looked slightly bent
mid-September when work began, but I thought it would work so I reused it.

Looking at the illustration in the shop manual, there is no spring that
'rests against the adjusting cam'. There is one spring near each of the
adjusting cams that has one end attached to the spring link of the support
plate and the other to an eyelet on the brake shoe. Are you talking about
the spring link ? If so, it is probably 'pulled out' because the shoes are
trying to reach the drums, which are too far gone to be of service. If you
turn the cams on the support plate, you will notice that they will 'pull in'
the spring link. Of course, now your brakes won't work at all, again,
because the drums are too far gone.

I would find a good set of drums before driving the car again, have them
turned to the same value on both sides, verify that the shoes arc to the
drums, get new hardware (springs, etc), reassemble everything and take it
out for a drive.

One other thing. The brakes are the most important system on your rare and
valuable car. Don't take chances with overlimit drums or old springs.

Good Luck !

Ron