Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Front Brakes

Also, how much size difference is there now between the diameter of the left
front drum versus the right front drum. Center plane brakes are unusually
sensitive to variations in diameter.

Wayne

In addition to what has been posted by others, brake shoes must fit the
drum. New shoes with a proper arc will have about .020" clearance at the
ends when seated in the drum (drum and brake shoe off car). If the ends hit
first, a very erratic brake action will result.

Proper tools cam grind shoes to fit the drum. Tooling to accomplish such is
far obsolete; operator health concerns, mostly. Practice of arcing shoes was
a necessary operation when drum size was above a reasonable limit. That
limit is not set at (generally) .060" above nominal and relined shoes are
factory cam ground to accomodate this number.

Something we see in high mileage drum brake cars and trucks is wear at the
support pads where the shoes rest against the backing plate (brakes noisey
and grab and don't release smoothly). These pads must be super smooth and in
a plane. Welding and grinding will restore the surfaces. Light coat of
synthetic brake grease (I still use NeverSeez) on the pads lets the shoes
move smoothly.

I live in a DRY area. Even so, the slightest bit of moisture in the air and
after an extended park period, I will have a first application brake noise
situation with, in particular, one of my cars.

HTH

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ