F guages

noticed a curl of grey smoke inside the left side of my astrodome on startup a few days ago. did a cursory check & all guages light as before & work, except the ammeter guage acts up a bit more than before (but still seems to work most of the time) and it is now "lazy" with ignition off-sits about 1/2 way to discharge. system is charging @13.5 volts. I suspect a small wire burned up in the ammeter. Any ideas as to what it might be or if the guage can be repaired? Thks
Lindsey Fuller