a/c problems

Hello everybody
have some problems with the factory a/c system in my 58 Chrysler.
Today I had the system charged, with about 3 lbs of good old R12, but the air from the vents is still warm. The valve on the pass side inner fender is cold , but the hose going to the firewall remains warm. I connected the a/c compressor wire direct to the positive side of the battery, and it's ok, but still no cold.If I move the lever on the heater panel, nothing happens , the clutch in the compressor doesn't engage. Any suggestion?
What the function of the solenoid valve on the firewall near the master cylinder? Why is connected to the valve cover? Can be bypassed if not working?

Please help, in this part of the world is impossible to find someone who can work on a/c systems on old cars,
and reading the shop manual didn't help me at all.
Thank you
Antonello Jelitro, from hot and humid Italy