A/C Questions

Hi, All,

Having never attempted any a/c work, I'm completely in the dark about how to
remove the a/c system from my K, for the purpose of detailing the engine
compartment. The last time it was charged, it blew cool (1980, I think) until the
freon leaked out. We were never able to find the leak. What I'd like to do
is remove it all, paint it, paint the engine and have a professional put it
back together and get it cooling again. Since there is certainly no freon in it,
can I just unbolt everything and remove it? Should I cap all the lines,
openings, etc. to protect the innards? What to use for caps? What do I need to
do to drive the car without the a/c on it (like how to deal with the heater
hoses and pulleys)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George Clineman