300/other -fuel pump traps, ferrari comment reply, etc.

300/other -fuel pump traps, ferrari comment reply, etc.

re recent comment - fuel supply problems are not always so easy.

Firstly - sometimes 'fuel problems are actually a crook coil or condenser - so always check you still have good spark. Blocked fuel tank filter/pipe is another, as is always have hose clips on any rubber hose between pump and tank.

Another 300 ( C series Carter) carb trap - here there are multiple internal fine gauze filters inside the carb, one very small barrel type one after the very obvious big mesh one under the big brass 'plug' atop the carby. (Do not know about later series carbs.) Holley carbs have another as yet I believe unmentioned fire risk - the rubber o-ring round the needle and seat shrinks, gets worse and worse until allows fuel past, floods carby - test by they (centre needle assembly) should be 'firm to turn' when adjusting float height - if not, are likely about to leak.

Now?!
1. If you install an electric pump, always put it on a circuit so if you forget and leave the key on it, cannot fill any motor cylinders (sump ultimately if leaks past rings) with petrol if left on?
2. fuel pump pressure - once you get around/over 3-5lbs, you run the risk it will overload the needle and seat, flood the carby, risk a fire. (I have an original Carter on my '58 Cad, fitted the AC mech pump off a triple carb Cad Eldo to replace a non original aftermarket one that vapourised when hot. The Eldo pump has higher pressure supplying Rochesters - whatever, every so often, when hot, fuel would bleed past new needle and seat into carby throat, make it a bitch to start without long cranking over to clear excess fuel. So be wary of too high a pressure, fit orig spec pump if possible?
3. Fire risk. At least with mechanical pump, if motor stops, pump stops. Sometimes car can catch fire unknown, before you are aware of it - electric pump/ignition is something else to remember to turn off in panic situation, if motor has already stalled as part of giving you the clue you have a problrem?
4. reliaibilty - mech pumps seem to go for 20-30 years, not so most electric ones?
5. easy starting after standing for weeks - cannot argue against that electric is best here.

Comment re website comment 'Ferraris are raced, Lambos not'. Here in Australia we have a series called "Nations Cup" - Lamborghinis race and win, latest and Countach models, against new Ferrari, Porsche, etc.. The legendary Daytona may have won races, but I still stand by my earlier comment they are a truck to see out of and drive below 70 mph, especially compared to both Muira and more mundane 4 seat Espada. ( I had a 65 Old Cutlass 330 V8 convert that was smaller and more of a blast to drive compared to the Daytona up to 80 mph - it had a bigger holley, non orig disc brakes, radials.)

I have never driven a 300F, or B, but a C with radials and good shocks, is real fun nearly every moment, situation, to drive hard on bitumen, smooth dirt - way ahead of it's time. Only on very bad dirt washaways, real bad gravel corrugations, does the body on chassis limitations/shakes, become evident, force you to slow to save the car somewhat.

Final word on 'desirability/true value now'? young 'aussie turks' today seem to know and dream more of a Lambo than Ferrari, this despite ferrari's F1 dominance - don't ask me to explain - and where does Chrysler fit in - Vipers are cool, so are 68-70 Chargers, otherwise? (in their eyes do others even exist ??!) (even the just mentioned 'nissans' are kool here - 90s Skylines, GTRs, 180 and 200SXs)

yours from perhaps finally drought breakingly wet South Australia,

Aussie Christopher

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get five times more storage - 10MB in your Hotmail account. Go to http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au