Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel pump problem

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel pump problem

Hi Mark and Group,

First of all, I seriously doubt that the push rod was made too short. To the best of my knowledge, all the "B" and "RB" engines, that is to say the 350, 361, 383, 413, 426 and 440 cid engines, all use the same fuel pump push rod. I have also experienced difficulty removing them, but it has always turned out to be carbon and gunk built up on the cam shaft side of the rod, which jams in the hole bored in the block when you try to pull it out. Usually, persistence will pay off, keep trying, but don't use brute force, just keep pulling against the stoppage over and over again. I don't have an engine apart, but I seem to remember that you can access that end of the shaft with a small bent scraper by going through the fuel pump mounting hole which can be used to clean enough of the end of the rod to pull it through the hole. It may have been from the bottom with the oil pan off, my data retrieval isn't what it used to be.

In my opinion, if there is really any sort of mushroom on the end, the rod is ruined, and so is the camshaft eccentric that drives the pump rod. They depend on a mirror finish and hardened surfaces with lots of oil to work properly. It may be that the pump rod was not removed during rebuild, and hence is gunked up. By pushing the rod inward against the cam and slowly manually rolling the engine over, you can verify that there is a reasonable stroke being applied to the fuel pump lever. Use pliers or a stick to hold the rod, don't put your finger on the end of the rod while moving the engine or you may get a surprise. :^)

Have you verified that the fuel pump is correct for the application and is working properly? I have had 3 brand new Carter fuel pumps that didn't work properly. When compared to a known good pump, they seemed to have the wrong lever angle, so the stroke was very short. when installing the pump, be sure to hook the lever under the rod and then compress the pump to install the bolts. I think you could actually install the pump with the lever to the side of the rod if you forced it.

I have a GTX that has a Holley blue electric pump mounted in the trunk and a mechanical fuel pump for over 20 years now. It works well, we use both the ,mechanical and electric pumps when drag racing, even though the car is basically stock, there is a noticeably difference in performance without the electric fuel pump as a booster. I bought a Holley regulator and installed it before the carburetor, just in case. Hope this helps, good luck.

Bill Huff

The root of my problem I think is a push rod that's too short in
this "brand new" engine. I'm unable to get the rod out without dismantling
the engine, as I believe the top of the rod may have a slight mushroom on
it. I sure would like to meet the guy who "rebuilt" this motor. Is it that
simple or is there something I'm overlooking? Will the carbs be able to
regulate this pressure?

Thanks for the help,
Mark Souders