Re: [Chrysler300] Carburator cleaning

Alex wrote:

>Also, should I lubricate all the
>parts before installation

Hi Alex,

ABSOLUTELY! Just use engine oil -- 30 weight will do fine. And
periodically wash the carburetors and throttle linkages with a paint brush (
or an air atomized spray nozzle with an air compressor ) and stoddard
solvent or paint thinner to clean them off and re-oil them again. Obviously
don't do it when the engine is hot, don't do it in a garage, and keep a hose
handy, but I have never had a bit of trouble doing this in forty years and
neither has my father in the last 80 years. Aside from this, I haven't
touched the carburetors on any of my cars since I trimmed the idle mixture
when I moved from sea level to 3000 feet elevation ten years ago. If you
keep them clean and oiled, they last forever.

And clean and oil the hood linkages and latch the same way.

It's well to clean off the spark plug wires and distributor cap
periodically with the solvent too, but be sure to let those dry before you
start the engine. I do this all with the air sprayer now and then blow the
engine off dry with air before starting it.

You guys who worry about the paint on the rams will find that the
air-solvent blast may blow some of the paint off from time to time. I don't
worry about that. Grit in the linkages will wear the stuff out, but the
paint is just for show, it'll run forever with aluminum colored ram tubes.
None of this bothers the body paint -- at least it hasn't in the last going
on fifty years.

Periodically put a drop or two of oil on the battery terminals and
cable clamps, as well as the battery hold down clamp and wing nuts. Make
sure you get the cable clamp bolts. That completely eliminates that
corrosion problem too.

Kurt

Kurt Greske ( kurt_greske@xxxx )