Re: [Chrysler300] Distributor rebuild - where?

Re: [Chrysler300] Distributor rebuild - where?

Dwell is the time in degrees that the coil is building up energy to fire the
spark plugs. More is better, to an extent. To much will leave you with a
small point gap and they will burn rapidly, to little and you will not get
enough coil saturation time and will wear the rubbing block on the points
faster. The reason for duals is to get more dwell without the bad effects of
a small point gap. Just before the first set closes, the second starts to
open, so you get the combined dwell of both sets. Each runs at 28-32
degrees. With both running you get almost 40. I usually change the points in
my G every couple of years. Back in the "old days" when all cars had points
and were daily drivers, tune-ups were a twice a year thing. Changing your
point gap will change the timing, as will point wear.Worn bushings on an
electronic distributor won't effect dwell. If it's bad enough though, the
reluctor will contact the pick up coil with bad results! Worn bushings in a
point set up will definitely effect dwell because the shaft is moving around
changing the point gap. On most single point systems, the vacuum advance
will change the dwell also. Sometimes by 4-5 degrees. The dual systems
breaker plate rides on a bearing and is much more accurate, usually within a
degree.
300ly,
Don