Re: [Chrysler300] Dash Mirror differences 60 >> + '64s& radios

Re: [Chrysler300] Dash Mirror differences 60 >> + '64s& radios

Hi John
Since I made my living repairing radios back in those days I may be able
to shed some light on this subject.
Back then factory radios were a fairly expensive option. $100 or more
for just AM. This created a market for cheaper radios. Companies such as
Automatic Radio and Tenna made radios that looked identical to factory
radios but were sold at electronic supply dealers for $29.95 or less.
Car dealers would order their cars without radios and buy these to
install. Whether the lower cost was passed along to the car buyer or not
depended on the honesty of the dealer.
These radios were the same (cheap) for all makes and models. Only the
faceplate was customized for each individual application.
The faceplates were available separately and I remember having hundreds
of these in the shop where I worked. They were thrown out eventually. If
we only had known.
Imagine how many radio delete plates were thrown out by dealers.
Sheldon
PA