RE: [Chrysler300] Airbags?

Try attaching a whoopee cushion to the center of the steering wheel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Jones [mailto:hurst300@xxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 2:04 PM
To: Vath, Michael J.; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Airbags?

Hi All;
Having worked on air bag cars since the get-go, the answer is absolutly NO!
There is far more to the entire system than the airbag. It requires
engineering as to seat position, steering shaft direction, and on the pass
side, the windshield position and ability to deflect the air bag. That's
just some of the cabin stuff, there's the actual operating parts which are
buried around the car. Usually including 2 front sensors near the corners, 2
center sensors usually under the dash. To activate the bags, it requires 1
of each to simutaneously make contact, which tells the activator to send a
siginal to the air bag ingnitor, which causes a small explosion, which
causes the actual charge to explode the bag into your face. This all happens
so fast that your eyes can't catch it. These all depend on the "crunch"
which is built into modern cars. They collapse at a controlled rate during a
crash, and your '60's iron cars ain't agoina do that. You could bump a curb
and set off the bag, if all the above isn't engineered correctly.
there is an incredable amount of science behind this safety feature, and
it shouldn't be compromised, All the parts can be installed and wired, but I
wouldn't sit behind the wheel and drive it. (Hell, I wouldn't sit behind the
wheel!)
All the above is based on years of servicing and repairinmg the systems and
, 'tho they've gotten a little streamlined now, it's just a bad idea. I can
give you more info about how they work if you ask.
300 'ly, Ray Jones