U-joint report

DETROIT POT STYLE UNIVERSAL JOINT REPAIR KIT PART NUMBERS
(Ball and Trunion U-joint)

I have been looking for these repair kits and have found out the following information. They are getting pretty hard to find. I live a stones throw from Pottstown, PA. In Pottstown there are two companies who make U-joints. Neapco is one company and Dana/Spicer is the other. I have been in contact with Neapco and was told that they do not manufacture them anymore and they have not for awhile. What is left is, what is out there, on the shelves, in the automotive parts stores, if they even have them. (Advanced Auto, Autozone, NAPA, Pep Boys....and all the rest.) If a store closes or gets tired of having these kits on the shelf they return them to the supplier for credit. Guess what Neapco does with them? They throw them in the trash. Hopefully not anymore. My contact in Neapco will be looking for the returns and selling them to me. So far I bought 2 kits numbered 7-4266 and 4 kits numbered 7-4268. I will explain the applications soon. I will try to contact someone in Dana and find out if they have any in stock. I do not know if anyone else is making these kits. I know that Andy Bernbaum lists the replacement boots for $22.50 and the repair kits for $75.00. I do not know where he gets his boots and kits or how many he has in stock.

Here is a breakdown for the application of each repair kit. The application information was taken from Neapco Catalog No.UJ9900. 1999 Catalog.

I CANNOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF THE CONTENTS IN THE CATALOG.

Neapco part number 7-4268

Body flange Diameter............. 3.625"
Body flange Circumference .... 11.3883"
Overall Length................ 3.750"
Bolt Hole Circle Diameter.... 2.875"
Bolt Hole Diameter................. .375"
Pin Length..................... 2.968"
Pin Width......................... .562"
Ball Diameter................... 1.031"
Ball Width....................... .609"

Application - Neapco part number 7-4268

DODGE - Dart, Gt, GTS
65-64 All
63-60 All 6 Cyl.
All V-8 w/ Powerflite Auto. Or Manual Trans.

DODGE - Charger, Coronet, Monaco, Polara, and Full-Size Wagons
64 All w/ 225 Slant 6 or 273 V-8
64-63 All w/ 225 Slant 6
62-58 All w/ Powerflite Auto. Or Manual Trans.
59-58 All w/ 230 6 Cyl.
57 All w/ Powerflite Auto. Or Manual Trans.

PLYMOUTH - Belvedere, Fury, Satellite and Full-Size Wagons
65 All w/ 225 Slant 6 or 273 V-8
64-63 All w/ 225 Slant 6
62-58 All w/ Powerflite Auto. Or Manual Trans.
59-58 All w/ 230 6 Cyl.
57 All w/ Powerflite Auto. Or Manual Trans.

DODGE 100 and 150 Series 1/2 TON VAN
69-63 All Exc.Auto. Trans.

JEEP - Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer
80-74 All at the Rear shaft - W/ Manual Trans.
69-68 All at the Rear Shaft
69-66 All Wagoneer
67-66 All at the Rear Shaft

If you happen to find these U-joint kits with a different brand name, here are some cross references. These will be the same as Neapco part number 7-4268.

Neapco part number 7-4268
AEC part number 67AR
ALLOY part number 1900
AMC part number 940800
CHRYSLER part number 2298940 ? P/N 1603398 in 1961 parts book
DETROIT part number R67A w/o BODY
R67 with BODY
FEDERAL MOGUL TRW part number 20117
FLEETRITE part number ZADD4267XR
McQUAY-NORRIS part number U04-2
MOPAR part number D-157
MOTOR MASTER part number MR-67A
PERFECT CIRCLE part number 1407
PRECISION part number 217R
REPUBLIC PARTS part number 1900
SEALED POWER part number 838-67A
SPICER part number 5-1407X

Now on to the other repair kits.

Neapco part number 7-4266

Body flange Diameter............. 4.000"
Body flange Circumference .... 12.5664"
Overall Length................ 3.875"
Bolt Hole Circle Diameter.... 3.250"
Bolt Hole Diameter................. .375"
Pin Length..................... 2.875"
Pin Width......................... .562"
Ball Diameter................... 1.031"
Ball Width....................... .609"

Application - Neapco part number 7-4266

CHRYSLER -NOT IMPERIAL
64-57 ALL

DODGE - Dart, Gt, GTS
63-60 All V-8 w/ Totqueflite Auto.Trans.

DODGE - Charger, Coronet, Monaco, Polara, and Full-Size Wagons
65 All w/ 318, 361, 383 or 426 V-8 and Manual Trans.
64-63 All w/ 318, 361, 383 or 426 V-8
62-58 All w/ Torqueflite Auto.Trans.
59-58 All w/ V-8
57 All w/ Totqueflite Auto.Trans.

PLYMOUTH - Belvedere, Fury, Satellite and Full-Size Wagons
65 All w/ 318, 383 or 426 V-8 and Manual Trans
64-63 All w/ 318, 383 or 426 V-8
62-58 All w/ Torqueflite Auto.Trans.
59-58 All w/ 318 or 350 V-8
57 All w/ Torqueflite Auto.Trans.

If you happen to find these U-joint kits with a different brand name, here are some cross references. These will be the same as Neapco part number 7-4266.

Neapco part number 7-4266
AEC part number 65AR
ALLOY part number 1902
CHRYSLER part number 2298941 ? P/N 1752680 in 1961 parts book
DETROIT part number R65A w/o BODY
R65 with BODY
FEDERAL MOGUL TRW part number 20120
FLEETRITE part number ZADD4265XR
McQUAY-NORRIS part number U04-1
MOPAR part number D-156
MOTOR MASTER part number MR-65A
PERFECT CIRCLE part number 1405
PRECISION part number 215R
REPUBLIC PARTS part number 1902
SEALED POWER part number 838-65A
SPICER part number 5-1405X
WESCO part number 401-065

I hope that this information will be of some help in your search for these U-joint repair kits. To be sure what repair kit you need measure your U-joint body and compare that with the above specifications. The Neapco catalog only went back to 1957. What did the 1955 and 1956 Chrysler use. Does anyone know if they measure up to one of the above mentioned U-joints? If you know, please let me know so that I can update this report.

If you need a U-joint repair kit contact me to see if I have any. Availability right now is one repair kit 7-4266 and four repair kits 7-4268.

Charlie Valentine cross.ram@xxxx

300G
62 300 Convertible