Re: [Chrysler300] Mopar vs Bowtie.....Group Effort

Re: [Chrysler300] Mopar vs Bowtie.....Group Effort

Well, I read all of the all of the posts on Larry's day out with the Bowtie. There were plenty of good suggestions. Here's a couple of thoughts.

1) Have you checked the jets, ( no pun intended) ? So often carbs get put on with no consideration for altitude. To rich, to lean and you lost pony's
If you have not checked, with the car warmed up run for 15 + minuets on the highway at a steady 60 mph or more. Pull off, turn motor off as soon as possible. Pull a plug or two and read for lean or rich. Either one will lose HP.
2) What is the rear end gear ratio. To high and you already lost. That being said I don't expect you are going to tear the rear end out.
3) Have the trans bands been checked lately? A little extra band slipping at full throttle will ad a few milliseconds to your time.
4) K&N air flirters is good for any car. Race or not. You should check fuel mixture for sure if you make any changes that effect carburetors.
5) Are the plug leads in good condition. Any arcing and you lost power. If you are not sure, at night in pitch black, motor running look for any arcs from the leads to the motor.
6) Is the coil putting out. You may want to have it tested.

Go eat em up.

Gary

At 09:48 PM 6/4/2002 -0500, paulholm wrote:
Redwoodlse@xxxx wrote:

snip

> Air cleaners on? off? RPM launch? Just roll out and then
> punch it? Shift with buttons? Timed for max with too much pinging?
> Amount of air in rear tires? Open to any and all suggestions as a
> lot of people will be watching.

> Larry W Jett

Might think about unshrouding the air filters.
One trick that was supposed to help on the "newer" aircleaners
(those with a top like the mid 60's to mid 70's) was to invert
the aircleaner lid.
a round piece of flat metal and drilled for the holddown
stud might help a little.
--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6