Results of Oil Pump removal

I thought the list would like to know.....

I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I decided to go ahead and remove the pan and inspect the pump pickup and screen.

Before draining the oil, the pressure was 45# at cold start up and after hot, especially at idle, dropped to 20#, but would return to approx 30# at highway speeds. (I guess it really wasn't as low as the factory dashboard gauge had indicated).

Upon inspecting the oil pickup after dropping the pan, I found it to be clogged with particles resembling thin pieces of "caulking" and very small strips of what looked like felt gasket material.

After cleaning all the gook off, I flushed the system with 10w oil, replaced the pan and refilled the sump with SAE 30 HD Quaker State and a new Napa Silver filter.

At start up the oil pressure was 50#. After well warmed up, the pressure dropped to 30# to 35# at low speed and at idle. At highway speeds, pressure remained at 50#.

I am satisfied with the results and relieved that I don't have a major rebuild staring me in the face at this time. I want to thank ALL who offered hints, tips, suggestions and some invaluable information that I wasn't remotely aware of. I couldn't have done it without y'all.

Karl
'61 300G