57 C engine

 I'm in the process of reassembling the engine for my 57 C. The cam
has been installed after regrind by iskenderian. Timing marks are lined up
and the timing of the cam checks ok with a degree wheel. When I install the
distributor driveshaft, the Chrysler manual says the slot in the shaft that
drives the distributor should be parallel to the centerline of the crank. I
cannot get the slot parallel. It is before the centerline as I install it,
and after the centerline if I move it 1 tooth. Has anyone had this problem?
If the distributor can be turned to compensate, which way should the slot
favor, slightly ahead of the centerline or after it? I appreciate any
help...thanks