Virus Spreading! All Read!

With the new virus spreading rapidly and since one of my most frequent
infected messages came from a member of the 300 list, I thought I would
share the following that I sent out to the Imperial list with the group.
Forgive me John, for being off topic but I think this may be of some
benefit!

Whiteshoes

Just a follow up to Manuel's message a few days ago to warn everyone
that the current W32.Badtrans.B@mm virus is making rounds fast and
furious! I reiterate what Manuel has already told us that the IML is
protected and will stop any virus coming through the main list so you
will not get it. The problem with this virus and many others is that it
infects a person's mailbox and picks up addresses either stored in the
address book or even at times in the files themselves. That is a where
and how it can get an address even though you may never have
corresponded with these people directly. Unfortunately, the victims
usually do not even know they have it as the virus is sent and spread
automatically and without their knowledge. The present form will also
alter the sending email address by putting an underscore "_" or
something similar at the beginning of the address so that hitting reply
to sender and trying to let them know will never reach them.

As a Public Service to all members, especially Tech and Computer Rookies
as many of us are, you MUST have some sort of virus software installed
on your machines! I have heard many times that some of us are "On-Line"
only to be a part of this or another list. Even the most sophisticated,
high priced systems that are purchased with bundles of software pre
installed seldom have this. And if they do, they must be constantly
updated as these new viruses are found. This usually requires purchasing
a subscription which includes the software from companies like Norton
(Symantec) or McAfee. As new viruses are found, these services allow you
to update the software definitions so it knows to stop them. Just
installing the software is NOT enough! UPDATE frequently! The reason I
stress this as I have been helping an associate that recently got the
virus. In our conversation he told me that he couldn't understand how he
got a virus because he had Norton Anti Virus 2000 on his computer.
Investigating further showed he did but was not set up to get automatic
updates downloaded to him and his definitions were well over a year old!
Lots of new viruses have come onto the scene since then! So again,
update or set your options to automatically update but take it upon
yourself to check and make sure you are current. I do this as a routine
each Monday morning along with my other computer maintenance.

Anti Virus software is inexpensive versus the problems it can cause.
There are even free test and trial versions available from some vendors.
Here are some links to go to and find out more online or visit any store
such as Wal Mart, Circuit City, Computer City, etc. that sells software:

http://antivirus.about.com/

http://vil.mcafee.com/

http://www.symantec.com/

These are just a few of the links to help you learn more about viruses
and get information about software. I do not profess or condone any one
vendor but just get something and Remember! Keep it Updated!

Whiteshoes (Impcop)