Selector buttons

OK, tonight I was able to get the wires to the igintion switch hooked back
up. NOW the car will start with the key in the switch and the neutral
button pushed. (At least until I broke the wires loose from the push button
selector, they are only crimped to the metal casing that houses the starter
button. Is it ok to sodder these wires in place instead of crimping them?)
Remember, all I see is a bundle of wires hanging down as there is no dash in
the car at the moment. The wires are still hooked up to their accesory
pods. Also got headlights/tail lights working again. However, still starts
and the driveshaft still turns. I am not good at this electrical stuff,
worse part of the car to me!! Maybe it is just the torque from the engine
making it turn, but it seems to want to turn pretty good. Also, two white
wires came loose from a circular piece that is on the side of the selector
housing. Seems that only one of the buttons works the bar that turns this
item on and off, possible reverse. Are they the back up light wires? They
were soddered on. Will resodder tomorrow. Just curious as to what they
might be for. Shop manual is confusing to say the least with these wires
and some of the colors.

Thanks,
Dean