Cop Cars & 300's

Illinois Tollway Authority had fleet of '62 4-door Chrysler's with 413, dual quad set-up and two speed axles. These could cruise in 140MPH range and were capable of nearly 160MPH. I don't know what tires they had, but in '64 and '65 when pulled from service they showed up on the Western Avenue schlock lots for $600 to $1,000, which is where I saw them. Heard somewhere there were 50 delivered as a "super-patrol" option, needed because there was a rumor the newly opened system, being private, did not have speed limits. Seem to remember Moon Mullins at Proving Grounds confirming these were real. L. Andrew Jugle, Elmhurst, IL