RE: [Chrysler300] Pinging & Timing

Mike, I didn't know there were any more of us old "Maico Break-O" riders
left out there!

I've heard that the "water down the throat" method works by rapidly cooling
the carbon-encrusted surfaces of the piston and head, and the difference in
thermal expansion between the two materials dislodges the crusts. The
method is not without some danger, though -- the rapid cooling can distort
some of the metals, leading to cracks or warpage, particularly on the hot
intake valve the water just passed over; and the dislodged carbon pieces can
get caught in the piston ring clearances, degrading the compression seal.
If the carbon pieces are not immediately expelled from the cylinder, they
can also become temporarily embedded in an exhaust valve face or seat, which
holds the valve open a bit and can cause a leak, as well as possibly leading
to a burned valve as the chunk prevents the valve from closing fully and
transferring its heat to the water- (or air-) cooled head.
Ray Melton