[Chrysler300] I'm new to this

Pat:

Others more knowledgeable than I will surely respond in more detail, but
here is the basic story:
Chrysler brought out their first high performance 300 as a letter car in
1955 as a C-300 model.  In 1956, they called it a 300-B, '57-300-C, &
etc. through 1961 300-G.  The 1955-1958 letter cars (plus New Yorkers
and Imperials) had the famous Hemi engine with 331-392 cubic inch
displacements.  In 1959, Chrysler brought out a lighter and less
expensive "wedge" combustion chamber engine with 413 cubic inch
displacement. and used it with varying carburetion and camshafts through
1965.  The 1970 Hurst had a 440 cubic inch "wedge"

In 1962, they offered the high performance 300-H letter car and the very
similarly styled 300 Sport.  The Sport standard engine had a single
four-barrel carburetor and was pretty much a mild version of  the
300-H.  The 300 Sport could be ordered with the 300-H engine but here
were some trim differences.

A 1962 "Chrysler 300" could be either a 300-H letter car or a Sport
model, but 99 times out of 100, it will be a Sport model.  Values are
significantly higher for the letter cars, especially if they still have
their original high performance engine.  All the letter cars were 2-dr
hardtops or convertibles and have identifying exterior trim identifying
them as a 300.

Chrysler continued to make letter cars through the 1965 300-L and
continued to make 300 Sports through 1971.  The also brought out a Hurst
300 model in 1970 and that car is recognized and accepted in our club.
Additionally, Chrysler hung the 300 tag on a 1979 Cordoba (with rich
Corinthian leather).  Then in 1999 they brought out a 300-M model of
their front wheel drive four door sedan.  This year Chrysler brought out
a new 4-dr sedan with a high performance "hemi" engine and called it a
300-C-Hemi, or somesuch.  The 1966 to date cars (other than the 300
Hurst) may be called 300's but many of us dyed-in-the-wool types don't
place them in the same category with the letter cars.

If you have not already done so, log on to our club website at:
http://www.chrysler300club.com   There is another similar club that
recognizes and supports all the older 300's
at:  http://www.chrysler300club.com   Both websites have lots of
pictures and data to help you get up to speed on 300's.

Not everyone in the Club does it, but it is always interesting to know
where the e-mail composer lives and what 300 he or she is supporting and
hopefully driving.

MoPa'r to ya from

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA 94513
1955 C-300

gccopper wrote:

I'm new to this!

Can anyone one tell me what the difference is between a 1962 Chrysler 300 and a 62 Crysler 300 Sport?

Thanks
Pat Hall

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used