           From: "ryan hill" <ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. RE: Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt
           From: "Jennifer Allyn" <gearhead.girl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. broken bolts
           From: "Pat Grant" <grant@xxxxxxx>
      4. Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt
           From: mplindahl@xxxxxxx
      5. Convertible vent wing weatherstrip
           From: Gary Nelson <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:03:53 -0700
   From: "ryan hill" <ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Mark, I had the same problem with two of my 383's in the past. (the same
bolt in fact.....front right) Unless you are lucky enough to be able to
grab
some of the bolt that may still be protruding from the head, there really
is
only one way to remove it.

Soak the threads with penetrating oil for a few days. Generally, these
bolts
are not actually tightened into the hole but rather they use the tension
placed on them by tightening the nut against the manifold to hold them
securely in place so fortunately they don't (typically) require to much
torque to unthread them.

Center punch the stud and drill out as much of the stud as possible being
carefull not to drill off-center or drill into the threads of the head.
Then
use an "easy-out" to back the stud out. I'm not sure how much room you
have
between the engine and fenderwell? The first one I did, I removed the
inner
fender (my car's are 1965's) and the second one I was able to drill out
with
a small 90 degree air drill. The heat from the drill bit broke the threads

loose and I just backed it out attached to the drill bit.

Of course the alternatives are to lift the engine or remove the head. Good

luck. Anyone has any better methods I'd love to know for next time.

Ryan.

Message: 2
That's the way we did it too.  There is also a "hole shop" in our area
that specializes in this sort of stuff.  There may be one near you if
you get really stuck.
Jennifer

[...]

For list server instructions, go to

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to