[FWDLK] How to restore 56 Ply heater box on firewall and other tips?

[FWDLK] How to restore 56 Ply heater box on firewall and other tips?

FLL:

I am making progress on rebuilding/restoring my '56 Ply and could use a few tips on the process.

How does one "restore" the heater box on the firewall?  Would like to restore the black color and replace the tar-like insulation on the back side.

What gaskets or buffer materials are used to keep the trim pieces from chipping/scratching the new paint; outside door handles, wiper bezels, tailight lense housings, backup light housings, assorted stainless trim...?

Thank you for any helpful advice to make the job easier/faster.

Gary Pavlovich
'56 Savoy