[FWDLK] Stop the Presses!

One last bedtime story: Joe Savard mentioned that it might have been
problematic, to stop the main production line, due to 'emergencies',
etc.

But, back in '71, I worked the summer, @ Chrysler's Perrysburg, OH,
"Stamping Plant", from 4pm -midnite shift, on the torque converter
final-assembly line,

After working a week, in the back-breaking position, of repeatedly
placing 12 lb. completed T/Q's into  long, multi-level   shipping
'baskets', I was promoted to the easy-position of standing for 8 hours,
connecting a high-pressure hose-fitting onto  a moving line-jig, that
held the finished T/Q's, so that any weld-defects would be noticible, to
the guy, sitting up/behind  me, who WAS "union"  (I, and others, were
'seasonal-
provisional-temps') , and who had the EASIEST job; he just SAT there,
with a grease pencil, and marked the location of any air-leaks, on the
T/Q's, as they  passed thru the :"fish bowl"!!

Any failed units would be returned, to the welders, etc., for additional
work.

Another critical aspect, for the T/Q's was their 'necks', which
absolutely HAD to have smooth, non-burred edges.

Quality Control, and groin-scratching, were high priorites, at that
plant.

Anyway, getting  back to Joe's comment, about line-stoppages, I had a
line-kill switch, which I did use, several times, per shift, as I would
, first, check the fittment/connection, of the T/Q, onto its line-jig,
before attaching the air pressure hose, because if the T/Q were not
correctly secured, the air-pressure would cause the T/Q?to mis-seat,
on the jig, and mis-fire SCREACHINGLY , during the pre-programmed 3
seconds of applied high-pressure, which was instigated by pulling an
overhead rope-cable.

The high-pressure hose could, also, blow-off of the jig, if its fitting
were not correctly secured, so 'you' always had to keep your left hand,
on the hose, while you pulled the overhead rope, with your right hand.

During the 3 seconds of air pressure, once you ensured that the hose was
not going to blow-off
of the jig, you could check the NEXT T/Q, on the moving-line, to
determine if it was?properly
secured to its jig. If it was not properly secured, you had to remove
the hose (anyway) from the
moving-way "filled" T/Q, and install the hose on that 'next'  T/Q, after
properly securing it , to its jig.

The reason that I could/would stop the line, was because, sometimes, the
'filling' , and/or the 'next' T/Q would 'fight'  me, as the line
kept-moving, and the "filled" T/Q, with  its hose, still-connected,
would
continue on, away from my station, as I attended to the 'next' piece !!!

One time, the hose got stretched TIGHT, beyond me, before I could stop
the line.

The worst part of that 8-hr shift  ( I also worked 2-hr , & sometimes
4-hr, overtime ; I am a nite person, anyway) was having 'nothing' to
think about, or sing (nobody could hear you) , because, then, you would
have to come-out of your semi-conscious-operation, like driving a car,
on the open-highway, and have to
"focus" upon  the boring, repetitive task at hand.

They did not provide ear plugs; I stuffed cotton in my ears.

Neil Vedder--never worked in a factory, since then.