Re: [FWDLK] Wavey, Wavey Rockers...

I have the exact same folder (DD-582) (would love to get the multi-page
brochure, DD-581).  Look on the back cover, the page labelled
"Specifications".  Look down the right column, about 3/4 way down -
"OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT".   On the seventh line of the paragraph note, "Power
package on V8 only".  In Chryco-speak of the late 1950's and early 1960's
"Power Package" meant a 4-barrel carburetor and dual exahusts.    The parts
catalogue lists a 4-barrel carburetor for the 1958 Dodge Custom Royal -
Carter 2650S (1826 079) before engine number 16581C and Carter 2805S (1858
776) after.   The same carburetors were used on the Power Package for the
Chrysler Windsor (LC2) while the DeSoto Firedome (LS2) used the later
carburetor but Carter 2686S (1827 997) as the early unit.

The Plymouth and Plymouth-sized Dodge also had a Power Package for the
A-block 313 V8.

By the way, only the 4-door sedan and wagon had the knight medallions on the
front fenders.  So this hardtop should not have them, installed or not,
reagrdless of which direction.

As for the interior, remove the upper vinyl section with the horizontal
creases.  Which is what the "restorer" did to this car.  That section
undoubtedly wore out after forty or so years of use.  So, remove the worn
out cloth and the tired upper vinyl section and replace both with a material
that Dodge never offered in a style that Dodge never offered.  (And they say
they restored it?)

As for the door panels, the section of the panel they painted black (to
match the dash) should be the same colour as the vinyl bolsters on the seat.
Even the white area if the panels have been painted.  The whole thing looks
rather shoddy.

The convertible in the folder has the correct upholstery - the convertible
was built in Detroit,  as was the Mayfair convertible.  Chrysler Corporation
of Canada Limited built no convertibles from 1937 through 1962.  They
imported convertibles 1937 to 1941, 1946, 1947 and 1952 to 1962.  (World War
II restricted imports in 1942, and a currency crisis restricted imports in
1948 through early 1951.  Chrysler of Canada built Valiant and Chrysler
Windsor convertibles (1963-66) and Plymouth and Dodge convertibles
(1963-69).   And unlike their American cousins, Canadian Plymouth and Dodge
convertibles (1963-68) could be had with the slant six.  Also, all Chrysler
wagons were imported as were all DeSoto and American-style Dodge wagons up
to and including 1960.   There were no DeSoto or Dodge Polara models in
Canada in 1961 (regardless of what the owner of the 'Mexican' Plymodge says)
nor 1962-64 Dodge 880 models.

The 1960 Dodge Polara was built in Canada in 4-door sedan, 2-door and 4-door
hardtop styles.  The interior was a modified version of the American
Matador.  But, the imported Polara convertible and wagons used the American
Polara interior.  That Canadian Polara upholstery was also used in the 1960
Chrysler Windsor, and again (modified) in the 1961 Chrysler Windsor.   The
Canadian 1960 DeSoto Adventurer used the DeSoto dash with Chrysler Saratoga
upholstery, which was used again in the 1961 Chrysler Saratoga.  Chrysler of
Canada must have spent a small fortune on airbrushing American illustrations
for the Canadian brochures in 1960.  The Canadian Dart used Plymouth
interiors which used different cloth styles than the American Plymouth.
Plus the Dart dashes had to be converted to the Plymouth style, except for
the imported Phoenix convertible.  And even the Canadian 1960 Valiant used
different cloth and vinyl patterns than the U.S. Valiant.

There was a 1953 Dodge Mayfair convertible for sale onm eBay some months
back.  It was, to be blunt, out right fraud.  No Plymouth-sized Dodge
convertibles were built in Canada after 1936, and non were imported from
1937 through 1953.  The first Mayfair convertible was 1954.   Chrysler of
Canada did import Plymouth Cranbrook convertibles in 1953, and if they had
imported a Dodge convertible, it would have been sold as the Dodge
equivalent of the Cranbrook - Regent.   The Mayfair was a hardtop from 1951
to mid-1953.   In this case, it would have been easy to put a Dodge clip
onto a Plymouth Cranbrook convertible.   The 1953 Dodge Regent Mayfair
hardtop was a Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere hardtop with a Dodge front clip.
So, why not install that clip onto a Cranbrook convertible?  And change the
nameplate on the trunk and dash.   The buyer of this car will be in for a
rude shock should he/she acquire the build record from DaimlerChrysler
Historical.

Which is why I am so adamant about setting the story straight about
Canadian-built Chrysler products,  They did differ from their American
counterparts while the imported models were identical to the American market
versions.  If you bought a 1958 Dodge Custom Royal convertible you got a car
built in Hamtramck with the American-style Custom Royal interior and a 350
wedge V8.  If you bought a Canadian 1958 Dodge Custom Royal hardtop you got
a 354 poly V8 engine with a modified Dodge Royal interior.  And with no A/C
or D-500 engine options.

Even that 1957 Dodge got me going as the seller was claiming it was a
Canadian-built Dodge with three rare options - the D-500 engine, air
conditioning and a record player.  But none of the three items were offered
by Chrysler of Canada in 1957.   The only engine available on a Canadian
1957 Dodge Custom Royal was the A block 313, with either a 2-barrel carb or
the Power Package 4-barrel.  No Canadian-built Chrysler car was available
with factory air prior to 1964 - NONE!  And Chrysler of Canada did not offer
the record player in 1957.

The correctness of a car has a direct bearing on its value.  Any incorrect
items should decrease, not increase, its value.  And any deliberate attempt
to present a car with incorrect items as unique in order to increase its
value is, under the criminal laws of Canada and the U.S., fraud.   The
seller is offering an item that is deliberately being misrepresented for the
sole purpose of increasing its value.

What must also be taken into consideration is the fact that the population
of Canada is about 1/10th that of the U.S.  And so is the car market.  Thus
in 1958 Dodge in the U.S. built 133,195 Coronet, Royal and Custom Royal
(20,455 CR) models while Canadian 1958 production totalled 4,747 Custom
Royal models.  Given the much smaller Canadian production you can see why it
is easy to pass off incorrect vehicles as "rare".  So few are around to
compare or use to verify equipment.  Even Canadian auto publications cannot
get it right.  (By the way, Dodge also built 2,172 Plymouth-based export
Kingsway models in the U.S. plus 15,549 Crusader/Regent/Mayfair/export
Kingsway models in Canada.)

"Caveat Emptor is NOT a 'sport'."

AMEN!  And I will stand beside you on this right to the bitter end!

Bill
Vancouver, BC